Pages

Monday 28 November 2011

Psychotic Depression: A Battle You Must Fight On Your Own

Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself.  ~ Francis Meehan

I beleive that when talking about psychotic depression we should refer to it as a war. Battles will be both won and lost, but when we put our mind to overcoming depression we must be prepared to fight. No war can be won single handedly, a leader needs an army. However an army can not be blindly lead into battle.

Realising that you have a mental illness takes the wind out of your lungs. I burried my head in the sand for many months, letting it escalate and spiral out of control. I think there is a moment in everyones stories of any mental illness where in your head, like a lost king you declare war in order to get your mind to a peaceful state. If you haven't, think about it, no one can overcome this but you. I remember making this declaration when I was in my worst state, I was weak and literaly moments away from not having a life. I awoke in a hospital bed and there and then, in the worst possible state made a decision full of pride and strength, that this illness will not defeat me.

To make this decision you truely have to beleive in yourself. It takes everything that you think your not. But once you have made it, like a promise to God, your fight can truely begin. To be honest, what makes this more difficult, like any war is that at the begining you can see no end. You have no idea how the battles will be fought, who you are fighting against or how your going to win, but you have faith.

Im not saying you need to fight your illness on your own. There are firends, family, care workers, doctors and bloggers who will all fight on your side. But it is the decision to fight that must come from you and only you. You need to beleive this is a war you are going to win, even if all the odds are stacked against you. We are all Davids and this is our goliath.

I decided to fight my war almost 3 years ago and I am still fighting everyday. Hundreds of little battles, but everyone I fight, I feel a little closer to the goal I am working too. This is your mind, your life and your fight, but everyone wants you to win.

I feel this post has a very agressive tone to it, but I want you to be inspired to rise like a pheonix. I always felt very angry and bitter at having a mental illness. I felt why me? why do I have to take the hard road in life. But I channeled my anger into trying to overcome this. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. The fight will teach us all hundreds of lessons which will in turn make us better people.

I hope most of you are already fighting this war with me, everyday making a tiny bit of ground in conquering your mind. If you are not, why not join this revolution of mentally ill people fighting, so we can be free?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this, even if I haven't seen it until now. You describe depression so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moment you experience a "I've already wanted to have killed myself, but luckily I did not" is the moment you come closer to overtake it all. It means it's in the past. I've been there and I was lucky enough to overtake it. It was not only possible, but my only way out. I needed to get over it in order to perform better at work. Always put your goals in what you do, whatever your condition might be. Have dreams and follow them the best you can at every moment. Always evaluate where you are in relations to your dreams. Never surrender to acchieve what you set for yourself. When you have the strength again to care about living and fullfilling all your dreams the cure will hit you from inside like it did with me

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is really well put. I believe I am suffering from psychotic depression and I want help. I had anxiety for a while but didn't know until about a month ago. about got days ago I got sick with aching body, head aches, coughing, sneezing and that when I started to really over think and believe now that I have the symptoms of psychotic depression. Im going tomorow to get help.

    ReplyDelete